Thursday 15 May 2008

The Savages

2007-Drama

If it wasn't for my friend I wouldn't have given this movie the light of day. I wasn't really interested of 'White America' and its way of treating the elderly, especially in my relationship with my grandparents and how the family takes care of there own and not just some 'American' mentality of putting them in a home of any sorts. So already I have my flaming arrows aimed at the film from the start, not expecting much with the whole sappy "I wish I was a better father/son/daughter" plot and makes the viewer value its loved ones.

Synopsis:
Carrying the emotional scars of an abusive childhood, siblings now have to face the challenges of caring for their dying elderly father, despite their emotional disconnect from each other.

All-in-All:
The plot was simple, the Narration was the gold mine of the film. The audience is sympathetic of the siblings and their 'burden' of dealing with a father that was never there. The narration wouldn't have been half as good if it wasn't for the brilliant acting done by Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman, portraying a realistic brother and sister relationship, and the minor character growth reminding the viewers that the event didn't change the siblings lives in a drastic way, but in the small minute things.
I thought this films acting and smart observation of the 'System' which most people go to of the elderly is interesting in the writing and execution weather I agree with the idea or not.

Riko's Rating: B

No comments: