Saturday 31 May 2008

King of California

2007-Drama/Comedy

This film was never on the radar up until I saw the cover of the DVD in my local Target. The cover was interesting enough to have me read the preface and since then I knew i should view this film.
Unfortunately Netflix is the kind of system that keeps one waiting a while so that by the time I finally received the film on mail (2months later... yea i have a long list) I came into this film with no hype and no expectation outside of this film going to be weird, but with the mood that i'm in, I'm more currently into gritty detective noir at this point, and this film is totally the opposite.

Synpsis:
A fresh-out-of-the-mental institution father and his emancipated teenage daughter venture together on a quest for an ancient Spanish treasure buried beneath their local Costco in this take on the modern family and the American dream.

All-in-All:
I am sceptical of films trying to be 'Independent' for 'Independent Film' sake. It seems to be a big trend in todays 'Hollywood' movies. Don't get me wrong i'm loving this movement due to its focus on story telling and outside box thinking. This film has great acting with convincing roles even though the source material was completely unbelievable. This is a must see for the people that wants to see a film not too out of the norm but safe.

Riko's Rating: B-

No comments: