Tuesday 2 September 2008

Funny Games


1997-Austria
Thriller/Horror

I placed this film on my Netflix list possibly a year ago. I noticed it a few months ago and decided to give it a shot. I didn't really know too much about this film, outside of cruel and horrible acts, and that it was a forgin film.

Synopsis:
Two psychotic young men take a mother, father, and son hostage in their vacation cabin and force them to play sadistic "games" with one another for their own amusement.

All-in-All:
I loved the way the film properly portrayed a 'Realistic' family trying to deal, and the villains outlandish unreal elements. The pacing can be called ridiculous because of some scenes drag (there was one scene i recall lasting for over 6min. with no movement or dialogue). I understand giving actors time to emote as well as directing realism by 'experiencing' the characters 'beats' but it was too much. The end of the film robs the viewers of a solid ending, instead the viewers are forced to accept the events. The constant breaking of the 4th wall was tactless and at often times offencive to whats going on the film.

Riko's Rating: C

No comments: